Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lists

I admit it, I'm a relentless list-maker.

I LOVE making them. It's actually an empowered feeling I get with the process. However, not all always goes as planned.

Once made, one of five things happens:
(Please note nearly poetic, seamless insertion of a list into this posting)

  1. I promptly lose said list
  2. I forget to use it for its purpose
  3. I religiously update it for weeks/months and immediately forget two-thirds of what I put on there, so if #1 eventually happens, I'm screwed
  4. At the moment of intended use, I decide the list isn't very helpful after all, and substitute whatever feels appropriate at the moment as my course of action. Then I feel a little guilty.
  5. I proudly bring forth my perfect list for its intended purpose, only to have someone remind me of something rather crucial that I've forgotten to add

Ah well, we can't win them all! What is the allure of lists for me?

Is it that I can pretend to be organized, when my life feels chaotic -- from my waking moment to finally, blessedly falling into bed at night?

Is it some form of cheap therapy, for removing all those worries from my head and somewhat avoiding my inherited tendency to lie awake and think about them endlessly (thanks, Mom)?

Regardless, you'll have to excuse me now, as I have to make an ordered register of related items/tasks for my intended future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Thanks for reading!