Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Baby Gear Overload: After Two Babies, the Stuff I Didn't Use


Oh new parents!
We are bombarded with so many "get this, you need that" messages when we find out we're expecting.  If you're fortunate enough to be able to get a bit more than the bare essentials, then you are prime target for Baby Gear Overload Syndrome.
Below are the items that I wish I had my money back, or despite a gift from a well-meaning family member, just never found itself used or enjoyed.  Save yourself some disappointment.

 1.  Baby Matched Separates outfits for sizes smaller than 6 months.  I'm probably going to have some hate back on saying this one, but let's get real.  Baby in Newborn (or even Preemie size in our case!) or 3 months size barely has any torso-to-waist definition, and in your zombie state in the early weeks, let's keep it as easy as possible for everyone involved.  My little ones never could use much of the matched separates before about the 6 month size.
2. Diaper Genie/Disposal Unit.  Take those suckers right outside whenever possible.  You'll be glad you didn't keep a silo of toxic waste in your baby's room.
3. Bumbo Seat.  I was lucky that my tiny kids could fit into the chair a long while, but both were busy babies who hated being constrained.  Many parents I know complained their kids' legs were too big to fit comfortably.
4. Convertible Crib.  So these cribs supposedly convert to a "toddler bed" and later, a double bed.  Wow what a scam.  Toddler beds have an incredibly short time frame of usefulness, you'll be looking for a longer bed in no time.  And regarding that double bed? Many young adults find the length to be way too short for comfort, and it's not a bed size well-suited for double-occupancy.  Which, I understand, as parents, we find to the best for our child, but why then needlessly saddle yourself with more expensive sheet sets compared to a twin?
5. Bottle Sterilizer.  I used it periodically, but I needed those bottles clean and used faster than I had time to deal with the sterilizer every time.  But then,  I only had 7 bottles - and a baby that ate every 2 hours in the early days!
6. Car Plug-In Bottle Warmer.  I'm embarrassed to admit, it didn't occur to me to solve this problem with a vacuum thermos until baby number two, but yes, if you use formula, a thermos is hands-down the fastest and most reliable way to have appropriate temperature water ready on the go!  Even on baby one, I rarely found the car bottle warmer to do its job correctly!
7. Baby Swaddler Blankets.  Most babies supposedly only will like this in the very early weeks.  If you have smaller babies, like I did, then these things won't work, or, if also, like mine, they need to keep their hands out.  Your regular swaddling blankets work great and better.
Finally, I never had these next items, but I pegged them as money-wasters to the extreme.  Did you ever use these and find benefit?  Maybe I was missing out!  Otherwise, I find these highly questionable as needed baby gear:
* Wipes Warmer - Even with two dead-of-winter babies, I never found my baby wipes to be too cold to use on baby
* Infant Sleep Positioners - Even with a baby with reflux, our pediatrician did not recommend these and thought them too much a risk than benefit
* Potty Chair - Maybe I got lucky, but I went with the old fashioned step stool and kid seat on top of the big potty, and it worked fine.  I didn't get the need for yet another yucky thing to clean, and didn't we all learn to use the potty without tiny chairs positioned in "every room" as some potty training methods would have us do?
* Crib Bumpers - Guys, these things are smothering risks.  Is the cute factor really that important?  Really?
* Video Monitors - Okay, this might be just me, but man do these play to your paranoia as a new parent.  A sound monitor works fine.
* Baby DVDs - No.  It never appealed to me to expose my tiny infants to TV so early on.  Sorry Baby Einstein!  They'll get enough of this later.
* Baby Laundry Detergent - Choose a non-perfumed, allergy-friendly detergent to wash the whole family's stuff in, such as "All Free and Clear".  No need to buy all this separate.
* Baby Purified Water - Unless your drinking water is questionable or your baby has a compromised immune system, your household water should be fine.  And then, if not, you won't need "baby" purified water - the regular bottled kind works.
*Shoes - In the early weeks, these are completely nothing more than a hassle and later, when baby is just starting to learn to walk, they actually hinder them finding their balance when trying a little stroll around the house.  Use your best judgement on when they are needed, maybe when going out only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Thanks for reading!