Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Tiny (Non)Dancer

I just don't get it.  Kids are ever-confusing!

My daughter is 3 1/2.  Her preschool did a school "play" earlier this year, and since dancing on the stage there, it's something she's spoken of enthusiastically for the past several months.

So 2 weeks ago was my daughter's first dance class - we had visited a couple schools, picked one out together, and decided to let her pursue more excuses for "dancing on stage" that she's requested.

Big excitement abound. Beforehand, we went and picked out the dance clothes, she was soooo excited: leotards with skirts, tights, ballet shoes, tap shoes... yay!



Went to the first dance class: Big success! She danced her little heart out, followed instructions, and was one of the first ones to "get" what the teacher wanted them to do with each little activity.  She seemed quite pleased with herself after the class, and I thought, "This might be her thing! How neat! A dancer in our house. Who would have thought?"

The following week, we talked happily about the class periodically in the days leading up to it, and on the morning of, she got ready for the class very nicely. My mother was visiting and accompanied us to the class.

We arrived at the class and suddenly she was a clingy, whiny mess. She didn't want me to leave the room. I stayed with her a few minutes, then just disengaged myself and told her I'd be in the outer room, waiting for her and to "have fun!".  I proceeded to watch her cling to one of the teachers for nearly the entire session, insisting on being held. I was so thrown by this!  What happened?

"Why aren't you dancing?" I asked her during a little break.

"I don't WANT to." she replied matter-of-factly.

...And nothing I could say would change her mind for that day.  I tried not to have a scene, so I didn't press it, but I didn't allow her to leave either.

I asked her later, "Don't you want to dance?" 
"No." she replied.
"Didn't you have fun last time?" I pressed.
"Yes."
"Don't you want to have fun again?"
"No."


WHAT?  I am so confused. How did a seemingly great time before with dance class become a complete rejection for a repeat opportunity?  I don't want to be a "Dance Mom" and force her to do anything but this kind of thing leaves me just confused and scared that the $100 in set up gear will be, after all, a complete waste of money.  We'll see how next weekend goes, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Thanks for reading!